Sunday, February 4, 2007

Where the paper begins. . .

During the brainstorming process for our observational essay in class, there was one certain subject that everyone seemed to be interested in. Even though I am currently an active member in this particular position, I feel that it would be insightful for me to take a step back and write and share with others my experience and possibly use this as an introspection to further my career. I am choosing to write about kitchen operations and the "daily life" at Johnny Carinos . I once was on the opposite side of the kitchen working as a server. I remember being so intrigued at how the cooks seemed to be so "good" and how the kitchen seemed to be so "big, hot, and scary". My cooking experience began as a Sunday ritual. My friend and I were the opening servers and I would beg the manager on duty to let me cook. Seeing the he despised the idea of being in the kitchen he would cordially agree. After many burns and accidental mishaps, the management finally decided to give me a shot. I was over joyed at this momentous occasion. They threw me into the mix on a Friday night for the very first time. I was literally shaking from angst and nerves. This will be the main emphasis to my paper. I want to write about my first night on "the line". This paper will be geared to fellow students and other visitors to my blog. Seeing that I got such a positive reaction to writing about the kitchen and what it is like to be a cook. I want to provide the viewers with the processes of the Johnny Carinos way, and give them a description of what it is like to be on the other side. Like I said before I want to share my experiences with others and I think that it will also help me look at things for the future. My ultimate goal is to one day have a catering business, or something of the sort, of my own. I expect that the readers will be entertained when they learn all of what goes on in the kitchen and what it is like. For me, I think that I will have a good time telling my story. Once the words are on paper I hope for it to read like an exciting "story" with lots of twists and turns. Some websites that may prove to useful are: www.carinos.com, www.chefwear.com, and www.diccionarios.com. This sites will include information relative to the restaurant, the uniforms, and the translations that I had to learn in order to fully understand what was going on in my surroundings.

4 comments:

JennyChavez said...

I like your topic it’s something that would be interesting to read about. The thing that is going to make your paper really good is the fact that it is something you would like to write about and share with others. Plus like you said you have the experience from both sides. My favorite type of writing is when one can present the subject as meaningful to the person who wrote it. I am interested in seeing how your paper goes.(

RachelKrier said...

This sounds like a great idea! Cooking actually was one of the ideas that was brainstormed a lot on my paper the other day. I thought about actually doing something like this myself. However, now that you are doing it I am interested to see what you observe. Even though you are familiar with the topic, make it new much like the first time you were thrown into the mix, it will be very intriguing to read.

Anonymous said...

I think that this sounds like a very interesting topic for an observational essay. I also have worked in a restaurant and being behind the scenes is quite a different experience. Many people go out to eat at a restaurant without thinking of how their food gets in front of them. Since you are so passionate about cooking, your essay should portray that. More goes into the preparation of food than what meets the eye and this would make a creative and interesting essay.

Moises Trego said...

Hey there! I've been reading your web site for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Humble Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic job!chef jacket