Sunday, February 25, 2007

Blogs you aren't reading

In my opinion there may be a reason why this particular blog is on the list of "Best Blogs 2006 That (Maybe) You Aren't Reading". I must be honest, when I first got to this site I scrolled through it and thought to myself that I must have some how made a mistake. So I left the site and tried it again. The content of this site is organized in such a manner that it seems that the user must take a prerequisite course to understand what is going on in this blog. There is no direct connection between the items and what will be found on this site. On the left hand side there is what appears to be an index, which it is, but not only for entries on this site. On the second half of the "index" there is a long list of shortcuts to other blogs. After randomly selecting one, I previewed the site and found that this guy was writing about his road trip, after scrolling through five or six of his other blogs, I found some entries that had to do with literary works. Literary works whether they are films, poems, or books especially dealing with politics seems to be the focal point of this site. However, the focal point was somewhat hidden. In some sites the focal point can be figured out from the web address or even through the title of the site. In this case I actually had to read into the first couple of articles to figure it out. The lack clarity may be related to the fact that this particular site is only meant to appeal to a select group of people. It may be possible that I am not of the select interest group meant for this blog. Also, the form of how this blog was constructed was rather abstract. I would personally have to say that this site is not very visually appealing. There are some graphics that make it a little more appealing. But in all honesty the dullness of the colors is a direct connection to the content. The most attention grabbing detail that I found was on the index tab half way down in between the index and the blog directory and it is a flashing image that talks about every 3.6 seconds someone dies from hunger. Seeing that the focal point of this site is more directed towards literary works and how they are related to politics, and one of the only things that I got fr0m this site was a cartoonized image about hunger does not speak too strongly for the structure of this blog.

As for taking information from this blog and incorporating it in to my own, I would not. The only thing that I would take from this site to incorporate into my own would be the more extensive use of graphics. I don't want people visiting my blog and thinking how terribly boring and uninformative it is. I would like them to be interested and want to stay long enough to understand the focus of my blog, and not be utterly lost and feel like they entered the wrong web address.

2 comments:

Hannah Houck said...

I went to this sight, and thought it was very visually appealing, but I must agree with you that I can't seem to understand the main focus of this blog. The main title is very vague, and when you go to the "who" section there is a picture and a poem and not very much on what he is all about. The topics of his different posts seem to jump around as well. I don't know if it's just me, but I fail to see an underlying overall theme connecting the different posts together. Maybe if I had more background, or education on the writer I would be able to understand the site better, but as is I feel it's very hard to get a grip on this site.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who felt lost on this site. I did the same thing when I first opened the page, I went back to make sure I hadn't made a mistake. I didn't really get into any of the bloggers writtings but I thought the pictures were amazing. I understand why this is a blog people aren't reading I didn' tfind it too interesting out side of the images. Maybe if I was more of a political person I would of found the site more to my liking.