Thursday, April 5, 2007

Unofficial Calvin Klein Ad






This is supposed to be an advertisement of jeans. However, her undergarment is more attention grabbing and you can barely see the jeans that are supposed to be advertised. About the only thing that this ad is advertising is sex appeal. Apparently if you buy and wear these jeans they must be worn unbuttoned and only with a bra to be sexy. I suppose that this ad is effective at grabbing peoples' attention and getting them to think if they wear these jeans they will be sexy like this young lady. However, I think that the attention grabbing tactics used in this ad are more geared towards men. Seeing this ad and being a women does not make me want to buy these jeans. In fact it makes me want to turn the page. I think that this ad is inappropriate because once again you can' even see the item that is being advertised and is the unbuttoning of the pants and the absent shirt necessary. You would think that if Calvin Klein was trying to sell jeans he would try and put a little more focus on the actual jeans! I believe that he was using a pathos effect in this ad. He made people think a certain way about people who wear these jeans, therefore, the jeans themselves were not a necessity.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your analysis of this ad is very well summarized. I also analized a Calvin Klein jean's ad and the jeans were definetely not the focal point. Also, sex seems to be the main theme in his advertisements. I can see how this ad is appealing especially towards men, as you mentioned. The ad I chose was for men's jeans and it was geared towards women because the body of the man was more focused on and objectified.

Issah Mohammed said...

I could not agree with you more when you noted that seeing this ad makes you want to turn the page. It is not even about the jeans but to show men how a sexual object this lady is. Being a man it really does not appeal to me either.

The skinny to the bone looking lady seem more sick to me than sexy. It is actually a turn off for many men like the friends I hang out with.

Exposing a woman's body in a seductive way to suggest sexual undertones is immoral but what looks like an attempt to undress is even more nasty.

Commercials have really changed the way people especially women are portrayed.

Anonymous said...

Now that you mention it, the jeans in my ad were not totally in the picture either. They were still buttoned and on the male model (dang) but the focal point of my photo was his naked chest. You make a very good point when you say, "You can barely see the jeans that are supposed to be advertised". I never thought about it that way. Sometimes I wish I had a body like hers but then other times I really like to eat. Nobody can really have it both ways. If they do, I envy them!

tnayew said...

I like the picture of the girl and the picture of the guy (I wish I could be him), oh well, I like it!